Note: This new IOL is not yet approved in the USA (FDA is working on it), but approved in Europe and Canada.
IT’S A NEW BEGINNING FOR CATARACT & REFRACTIVE PATIENTS… Now you can beneﬁt from a full rangeof vision thanks to TECNIS ® Extended Range of Vision intraocular lens. TECNIS ® Symfony Extended Range of Vision IOL is an advanced implantable lens, providing high-quality vision in any lighting condition, from near to far distances— and everything in between. TECNIS ® Symfony Extended Range of Vision IOL uses two advanced technologies that work together to:
- Elongate the focus of the eye to provide the extended range of vision.
- Correct chromatic aberration (color distortion) to provide sharp vision in all lighting conditions.
1. High patients satisfaction with 97% of patients in a recent study would elect to have the TECNIS ® Symfony lens implanted again.
2. Provide high-quality vision from near to far, in all lighting conditions.
3. Helps correct presbyopia, and offer high spectacle independence at far, intermediate and near distances.
The latest addition to the TECNIS® Family of IOLs offers new optical technology for providing an Extended Range of Vision. Traditional IOL solutions for treating presbyopia include Multifocals and Trifocals, which work on the principle of simultaneous vision by splitting light into multiple distinct foci, and Accommodative IOLs, which change in shape and power when the ciliary muscle contracts. Traditionally with these technologies, the correction of presbyopia is commonly thought of in terms of the distinct distance for which functional vision is provided.
Download the Information Brochure,
Simulation of vision with cataract then with correction of cataract with different types of lens implants
Download the app to your iPad through this link
The TECNIS® Extended Range of Vision IOL delivers a continuous, full range of high-quality vision with incidence of halos and glare comparable to a monofocal IOL.1, 2
Also available in a Toric format to correct astigmatism (waiting on Health Canada Approvals)
Technical details and Mechanism of Action
TECNIS® IOL merges two complementary enabling technologies
- The proprietary diffractive echelette design feature extends the range of vision.1
- The proprietary achromatic technology corrects chromatic aberration for enhanced contrast sensitivity.2
Proprietary Diffractive Echelette Design Feature Extends The Range Of Vision
Proprietary diffractive echelette design feature introduces a novel pattern of light diffraction that elongates the focus of the eye resulting in an extended range of vision.1 As evidenced by the measured light pattern when projected through the TECNIS® monofocal IOL, TECNIS® multifocal IOL and the TECNIS® Symfony extended range of vision IOL, there is one distinct focal point for distance with the TECNIS® monofocal lens, two distinct foci for the TECNIS® multifocal lens, and one elongated focal point for the TECNIS® Symfony extended range of vision IOL.
The Symfony IOL gives a vision of 20/20 or better from distance, all the way to about 60cm from the eye (which is the intermediate vision, computer or iPad/iPhone distance) then becomes less effective but still gives 20/40 vision at 40 cm. The 20/40 reading vision at 40 cm is equivalent to average book font reading. This is illustrated in this diagram.
Elongated Focus Leads to the Continuous Range of High-Quality Vision1
The novel pattern of light diffraction projected through the TECNIS® Symfony IOL is shown below, along with the light patterns projected through the TECNIS® monofocal and TECNIS® multifocal IOLs for comparison. The elongated focus of the TECNIS® Symfony lens leads to:
- A continuous range of high-quality vision for far, intermediate, and near distances1
- Halo and glare comparable to a monofocal (distinct single focus) IOL3
- Multifocal IOLs work on the principle of simultaneous vision; one image is in focus while the out-of-focus image is suppressed; halos are caused by the out-of-focus image. Because the TECNIS® Symfony IOL has one elongated focus it has the halo and glare profile comparable to a monofocal IOL.3
|TECNIS® Monofocal IOL|
|TECNIS® Multifocal IOL|
|TECNIS® Symfony IOL|